Thursday, March 21, 2013

Flipped Instruction


Video chatting with Katie Gimbar and Dr. Lodge McCammon cleared up some questions I had about flipped instruction, but it always made me want to find out more! I felt like we didn’t get nearly enough time to chat.  I the Friday Institute’s website and watched some of the videos.

It was kind of cool to be able to get some informal training from the website. For example, Dr. McCammon shows you how to set up your lecture on the planning guide and put it to the marker boards. He then shows you how to slide the boards so you don’t erase information from your lesson as you go.

I still feel like flipping instruction is quite complicated and it would take quite a bit of time to implement it. HOWEVER, if we start doing it now, by the time we get jobs, WE will be comfortable with it. Then the only task that is left is getting the kids on board. And even though that may take some time, if schools start to implement flipped instruction, then we can begin preparing kids for this model as young as kindergarten! This way, by the time they get to first grade, second grade, etc. and even in middle and high school, they will be ready and know exactly what to do!

As we were chatting with the group, I found myself scaffolding lessons in my head. Vocabulary lessons would be something really great to use flipped instruction for. This way you can differentiate activities and word walls for each student’s needs. Your videos can be at different levels and kids can progress as they see fit. Also, then the struggling readers can go at their own pace until they become comfortable with the presented vocabulary.

The FIZZ thing is so cool. The idea that you want the ideas and lessons to fizz up (like bubbles in pop) is such a cool comparison. A ripple effect could also be used to describe it. Your video is the initial ripple, and as it spreads out it can be looked at as giving kids more rigorous lessons. But FIZZ just sounds so much more exciting! J

Honestly, I’m a little uncomfortable with the thought of flipped instruction at the moment. However, I know with some dedication and practice I will feel much less awkward on camera and be more confident for my students. I don’t want to seem nervous while giving lessons! I want to engage the kids and create an environment conducive to learning.



Resources

No comments:

Post a Comment